Wednesday, July 3, 2013

We all have baggage....

What does one do on vacation when it is raining?  Write a blog...

Last weeks gospel was from the book of Luke.  The story is the one in which Jesus was recruiting followers.  Many of the followers were giving reasons as to why not to follow Him immediately.  One said, "Lord, let me go first and bury my father."  Another said, "I will follow you, but first let me say farewell to my family at home."

Jesus is very blunt with both of these followers.  The first He says, "let the dead bury their dead."  The second, He replies, "No one who sets a hand to the plow and looks to what was left behind..."  Both of these responses are refering to the non-believers as the dead.  The family members that do not believe are also dead.  Many might think Jesus is being tough on them.  This is showing, more and more, the world today, the all about me, or the what's in it for me mentality.

The one thing I got out of the sermon was baggage.  What baggage am I holding onto that is keeping me from His eternal kingdom?  I could sit here and list item after item, but I think we all get the picture.  Holding onto earthly things will only keep us from reaching that eternal kingdom.

As a Catholic man, I have been more than a little troubled by the things that have been going on lately in the media.  I am being portrayed as a man who doesn't understand the plight of those who don't believe marriage is between a man and a woman.  I am being portrayed as a person of hate and anger.  This baggage has consumed me, constantly having to explain myself and my beliefs.

Trying to remove the baggage I have, so I can get to the heavenly realm is getting tougher and tougher.  I just want to give up and seclude myself, with my beliefs, and hope that God will accept
me someday(all about me).  While I know that most of the things of this world will not get me into heaven, I want to crawl into my own world and live my life, as best I can, according to His will.

My question to you is, what are you holding onto, or looking back at, that might be keeping you from this heavenly realm?  Are you willing to forgo them, even though today's laws tell you it is okay?  It is a difficult world we live in and the battle is the Lords, so give your struggles to Him, ask for guidance.  Let go so God's peace can come into your life.




No comments:

Post a Comment