Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Understanding Heart


I cannot believe school is just about ready to start.  I am looking forward to another great year and hope you are as well.  The school building is shaping up and we are almost ready for the PTO Blessing of the Backpacks events, this Saturday and the Kindergarten Social on Sunday. 

I am ready to get back into the swing of things, and that includes my weekly note.  I must say, I have missed writing this column and am probably a little bit rusty, so bear with me as I try to get back into things.  That being said, I must say, this past weekend’s Mass readings gave me the perfect idea to write about today.

In the first reading King Solomon was given, by God, anything he wanted.  Before we get into his response, I must say, my thoughts if God would have asked me this question would be countless, and pretty selfish.  I would have thought about endless riches, world power, and more.  But what Solomon asked for was something I think we need more now than ever, an understanding heart.  Here, a man, a leader, a King, who could have had anything he wanted, and he asked for an understanding heart.  Do you know of anyone who would ask for something that benefited anyone other than them? 

We live in a pretty hostile world right now.  We have talk shows that put two people from opposite sides of a topic together and let them argue and fight, usually ending in a shouting match, and portraying a total dislike for the person.  This occurs across the field of sports, politics, relationships, blogs, etc.  Two people pitted against each other and our human nature to win at all cost, means that someone has to win and the other has to lose.  What I find most disturbing about this thought process is, it has led to the idea that if you and I disagree on one topic, then we must have to dislike each other forever, for we could not possible agree on any other topic.  How could you and I be friends if you do not believe the same way I do?(written with a little sarcasm)

I try my best to not let myself get trapped into these baited situations, but sometimes it is not very easy.  If I find myself not agreeing with someone, I try my best to get my point across, and often do not understand why they won’t believe my way.  That is usually followed with a bit of sarcasm or a sentence or two involving name calling.  It is not so easy to see my human nature taking over, before it is too late.  I wonder how these conversations would go if everyone entered with an understanding heart.

Can you imagine how an understanding heart could change conversations or decisions?  Lately, watching two people screaming, yelling, protesting, etc. has created nothing but more frustration and hatred.  How about going into a situation with an understanding heart?  It is my goal to have a more understanding heart, so when I get into these situations, that they can be handled without screaming or yelling.  Going into a situation with an understanding heart does not mean I will change my opinion, nor will I expect it to change your opinion.  But, when both sides understand each other, I would hope then the Win/Win situations would be endless, allowing us all to work together.  Surely, understanding hearts would get more done than name calling and hatred.

Let’s all seek understanding, before making any decisions.  What better place to start, than to take King Solomon’s wish of an understanding heart, and applying it to our own hearts.  Let’s get together and share opinions seeking first to understand, then work on the solutions, together. 

My prayer for this year is that God gives us all an understanding heart to help us better work together.

No comments:

Post a Comment