Monday, August 14, 2017

Are you walking or sinking?


This weekend, the gospel was from the book of Matthew.  Jesus sent his disciples, by boat, to the other side of the sea, while He dismissed the crowds.  He then went up the mountain to pray, by himself.  Upon his return to the disciples, the boat was in the midst of a bad storm.  Jesus was walking on the water, to get to the boat, when Peter saw him.  Not sure it was Jesus, Peter asked, “Lord, if it is you, command me to come to you on the water.”  You all know the rest, Peter started to walk on the water, realized that he was walking on the water, got scared, fell in the water, and Jesus reached out and saved Peter. 

Peter started his path to Jesus, by walking on the water.  The further he got away from the boat, the more scared he got, and looking down at the water he started sinking.  Peter lost his faith when he took his eyes off of Jesus.  Have you ever had doubts about a decision you are making?  Have you ever been like Peter and started to sink?

I was talking with a friend of mine, recently, who is sending off his son to college.  He will be a freshman at Indiana University.  As you can imagine, our discussion led to the media influenced rhetoric we hear all over the news about safe spaces and groups segregating other groups because they are offended by who they are, what they look like, or what they believe.  Our discussion led to the question, “Are you afraid to send your children to college the way things are going on campuses?”  I was very surprised by my friend’s response.  He basically said that he has faith that he and his wife raised his son to make good judgements and good decisions.  And, I believe, knowing his son, they are absolutely correct and should have no fears.  Their son is a fine young man, and sort of an old soul, who I believe will not to get caught up in anything that will steer him away from his goals and vision.

I now have a middle school child.  Her first day of middle school was Wednesday and her birthday is next week.  She is taking great joy in reminding me that I am so old, that I have a middle school daughter.

For her birthday, my wife and I have gone back and forth as to whether or not to get her the cellphone she desires as a birthday present.  Of course, I, the protector, want to shield my daughter from all that is bad in the world and giving her this present could open her up to so many negative things such as cyberbullying, sexting, etc.  My wife on the other hand, is taking an entirely different path.  She wants to let my daughter get the cellphone.  Of course, there are rules, written in contract form, as to what she would be allowed to do and not do, but she really wants to give our daughter a chance to prove to us she can handle this responsibility.

The difference between my wife and I is the fact that she really has the faith that our daughter will do the right thing.  If something bad happens, my wife has faith my daughter will come to her.  If she is having problems with another student, my wife has faith my daughter will talk with her about it.  My wife has the faith Peter had while jumping off the boat and started to walk on the water, and I am pretty sure I have already taken my eyes off of Jesus and started to sink.
As much as I hate to say this, but my daughter is no longer the cute little girl that daddy pushes on the swing.  She is rapidly becoming a fine young lady, who would rather I drop her off a block from her friend’s house for fear I might embarrass her.  Don’t get me wrong, she has her days, just like any middle school child.  However, it is time for me to have faith that my wife and I are doing everything the way we are supposed to.  I am sure she will mess up, make a mistake, make us question our decision, and start sinking.  I now have to have faith that, like Jesus, I will be there to keep her from drowning.
 
Where is your faith?  Do you have what it takes to jump off the boat and start walking on the water?  If so, do you have what it takes to walk all the way to the shore, or do you fear that you might start sinking?
 
 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment