Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Hurumphing

Let me begin this post by saying how humbled I am.  When I first started this blog, I thought no body would read it.  I truly believed that I really had nothing profound to say.  But today as I prepare to blog, I see that I have reach a small milestone in the blogging world.  In the 10 post I have added to this blog, I have reached 1000 viewers.  I never dreamed anybody would even read my blog, and now my blog has over 1000 hits.  I am very humbled.  I am thrilled that people are reading it.  I hope you get out of my posts, what I believe I put into my posts.  Please know that I always appreciate your comments.  Thank you all very much.

I know that I have a very unique title for this post, but I believe after you read it, it will all make sense.

Just last Sunday, our youth minister(best one in the world, just so you know), invited the Catholic Rock Band, The Thirsting(www.thethirstingcatholic.com), for a concert.  Now, much like previous post, coming to work on a Sunday is not one of my favorite things to do.  I am especially not thrilled with the idea of listening to a rock band(ohhhh my!!!!  I just sounded like my dad).  So, with much encouragement from the youth minister, and hurumphing the entire 40 minutes drive, I decided to attend the concert.

I am jumping to a side bar, do not worry, I will bring you back.  I attend a weekly Bible study.  The study is about an hour drive from my house, but since I usually leave from work, the drive is about an hour and a half.  To top things off, Bible study takes place on Monday night.  Being a football fan, and not getting home until 10PM from Bible study, my long drive to Bible study usually entails hurumphing for an hour and a half.  I might say things like, "I cannot believe I keep doing this to myself!" or "I don't want to go, I am too tired."  Now I hate using phrases like "all the time," or "everybody agrees," but I am truly confident that no matter how much hurumphing I have done on the way, I ALWAYS leave, glad that I attended.  Gee, I wonder if that is the Holy Spirit tugging on my heart.  Anyway, back to last Sunday.

After much hurumphing, I finally arrived at the concert.  I got to the gym and my attitude hadn't changed, so I decided to stand in the dark corner, and hope nobody would notice.  When I saw the opening act, I must say, I stereotyped(sorry God!!).  The opening act was the guitar player from The Thirsting.  He had an almost mohawk(an almost mohawk is where the middle is tall and spikey, but he could not commit to shaving the sides bald).  My hurumphing continued.  "I cannot believe I am here!!" I said to myself.  But trying to be the supportive friend of the youth minister, I put on my happy face and acted like I was enjoying myself, however, I do not think she bought it.

Well get ready, because what happened next I thought I was going to hurumph myself back in the car and go home.  The Thirsting came on stage and started with a song so loud and upbeat, I could not even understand the words(OHHHHHH MYYYYYYYY!!  I sounded like my dad again!!!).  The band was jumping all over the place.  I thought the drummer was going to hit the ceiling his arms were moving in such a crazy motion.  I am waaaaaaaay to old for this!!(I said to myself, and yes, I reminded myself that my dad said this.)

Yet, being the trooper that I am, I put on my smiley face and continued to gut it out.  Maybe even saying to myself, "God you owe me for this one."  Well in true fashion, God payed the debt I believe He owed me.  About four or five songs into the show, the band left, leaving the lead singer.  He played a few slower songs, and then stopped.  He asked everybody to sit down and told the most amazing story of his life of prayer, especially the Rosary.  I will try my best to explain it, and I wish I had a recording of it, because I am very positive, I will not do it justice. 

In the section below is his story, I am going to write as if it were the lead singer talking, so when you see the word "I" think of him:

I like to spend time in prayer, especially the Rosary.  For example, today is the sorrowful mysteries.  In those mysteries, I try to picture what really happened to Jesus during each decade.   
Decade one: The Agony of Jesus in the Garden.  Jesus knows that He is going to be crucified.  The soliders come for Him, and when the disciples try to put up a fight, Jesus stops them for He knows the will of His Father.  Jesus allows the soliders to take Him, knowing His fate.  Is ten Hail Marys enough?
Decade two: The scourging of Jesus at the Pillar.  Jesus let himself be scourged, because He knew He was taking all our our sins with Him.  He was beaten, and bloodied to the point that his clothing stuck to Him.  And before they nailed Him to the cross, they ripped off those bloody clothes, causing more pain.  Is ten Hail Marys enough?
 Decade three: The Crowning of Thorns.  They put a crown of thorns on His head.  It caused so much bleeding that it looked like he was crying and sweating blood.  Is ten Hail Marys enough? 
Decade four:  The Carrying of the Cross.  Jesus had to carry His own Cross.  That cross was not only heavy because of its shear size and the wood.  It was heavy for He was carrying all of our sins.  Is ten Hail Marys enough?
Decade five:  The Crucifixion and Death of Jesus.  It is over.  God's only Son has died on the cross.  He has completed God's plan of salvation for us all.  Is ten Hail Marys enough?
 
Suddenly, I find myself inspired and I am not gonna lie, I shed a tear.  The hurumphing went away.  I was so moved by this lead singer in a Catholic Rock Band.  He has taken the rote prayer of the Rosary, and changed my entire thinking.  I am now inspired.  I am now SOOOOOOOOOOO glad I went to the concert, that I am ashamed that I humrumphed, at all, and I started to feel bad for those that missed it.  Just like Bible study, I might not be glad to get there, but I am always glad that I went. 

Thank you Ashley(youth minister), for encouraging me to come to the event. And by encouraging, I mean, not giving up on me or letting me off the hook.

Thank you The Thirsting, for reminding me I am taking the Rosary for granted.  You have taken a beautiful set of prayers and put it in a perspective I could not imagine.  You have inspired me to pray the Rosary again.

But most importantly, thank you God for reminding me, that even though I Hurumph, You will always be there for me.  You will always lead me in the right direction.


 
 
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment