Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Bob might be on to something here

The following is a post from Scott Levy's LinkedIn page.  Scott is a good friend of mine, I met 8 years ago, through his wife Susan, a terrific 4th grade teacher at my last job. 

I loved this post.  I think Bob might just be on to something here.


Listen I know this is not Facebook and so I am always careful about what I post or like on LinkedIn. Last night I was sitting by a very wise 87 year old gentleman (Bob) that I play poker with once a week. He has served his country in the military, fought cancer, has had 6 bypass surgeries, had a career as a teacher, and has plenty of stories. Last night he handed me a slip of paper saying this is how he lives his life. As I sat reading what he handed to me I was struck by the depth of content and touching words to live by.

I thought to myself, what a wonderful gift this guy had just given to me. I consider Bob a “seasoned” guy not an old or elderly guy. I don’t like the term elderly or old I think it is disrespectful. This folks are “seasoned” from time, tears, blood, sweat, and have plenty they can teach all of us if we will take time to listen. I think so many times we miss or don’t take the opportunity to sit down with a grandparent or a seasoned individual and just listen to them talk. The amazing experiences and stories they can share are priceless. They can both inspire and remind us of how lucky we are today. To think about the things we take for granted today versus 50 years ago, amazing!

Sitting talking with Bob last night gave me pause to be thankful for what I have and also take time to listen to my seasoned friends. I would suggest to anybody who reads this to take time to sit down and just have a chat with a “seasoned” person. The things we can learn, the wisdom they can share is priceless. What a shame to let their special stories and experiences be lost never to be passed along to somebody else. As the father of two wonderful daughters I tell friends that as a parent I feel it is my duty and responsibility to create memories for my children. I do hope that you all will take time to listen to somebody older than you. Have them pass along one of their memories so that you can share it with the next generation.


No comments:

Post a Comment