Monday, December 10, 2012

Advent is a time to wait...


I did something on Saturday, that I must be honest, I haven't done in a looooooooong time.  I finished my Christmas shopping.  Now, let me preface this, I have to only purchase for one person, my wife, and since I am a school principal, I usually have a couple of days between the start of Christmas Break and Christmas day to shop.  So it is not unlike me to wait until the very last minute.
 
So anyway, I went with my wife and children, cash in hand, to start the Christmas shopping season.  I am sure you are wondering why would I go with my wife and children, to do the Christmas shopping?  To answer that, my wife gave me a list of things she wanted and I went and purchased them, so she already knows what she is getting.  Plus, my wife is not a huge fan of suprises.
 
I must say I am pretty pleased that I got the shopping done in one day, in a minimum number of stores.  As a matter of fact, I got all she wanted in only three stores, yet another record.  One thing I definitely noticed at any location I went to on Saturday is how rushed people seemed to be. 
 
I truly do not understand the hustle and bustle this season has become.  People get up early on the Friday after Thanksgiving, and heck, now the stores are opening on Thanksgiving day.  And from that point on, all I see is the hustle and bustle of this season.  They gotta hurry and get to one sale or another. 
 
One of the things that have gone by the wayside, in today's modern, secular world  is Advent.  Advent is a time of waiting and reflection.  In the homily this weekend, it was advised, by Fr. Tom, that we wait and anticipate the joyous celebration of Christ birth.  He even suggested that we come to the church or set aside time in the morning to pray for the upcoming celebration. 
 
I like to think that I am a patient man.  I do not deal well with people that turn every decision in to a last second decision, so when Fr. Tom suggested setting time aside for prayer, it reminded me of the following:
 
We have time and prayer backwards.  We think time determines prayer.  When, in reality, prayer determines time.  Anonymous
 
There are many things I wish I could do, but I know there is not enough time in one day to get them done.  I have to make the decision to run my day, based on the amount of things that have to get done and the amount of time to get them done.  Some days are easy and others are difficult.  However, imagine how much time I would have if I invited God into my day, through prayer, and allowed Him to make my schedule.  Starting the day with God and keeping Him with me all day, in everything that I do, imagine how wonderful that would be!

I know this is rather difficult, keeping God with me at all times.  There are many times when my own egocenteredness gets in the way and I push God away.  There are times when I do not invite Him into my life, first thing every morning, or thank Him last thing every day.  Not because of lack of effort, but because I am usually thinking about me and my plans. 

So, much like Lent(I do not give up things, I try to do things that make me a better Christian), I am going to make an effort to start every day of Advent, inviting God into my day, and every evening of Advent thanking Him for a wonderful day.  I am going to push away the hustle and bustle of every day life, and spend some time quietly with God. 

Now, I just hope I do not wait until the very last second to wrap the presents....
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment